Christmas recipe – Catfish in puff pastry with pesto
Still looking for an unusual idea for a Christmas dinner?
Then our recipe for catfish in puff pastry with pesto is just right for you. With only a few ingredients and quickly prepared, you can conjure up a dinner for the holidays in no time, which not only tastes good but also looks especially pretty (or at least unique). Download the recipe here.
1 jar of StadtFarm Pesto of your choice
about 200 g StadtFarm catfish fillet
1 roll of ready-made puff pastry
1 egg yolk
You decide which shape you want to give your puff pastry fish. There are no limits to your creativity. You can also simply choose a different shape, such as a small package, the recipe also works with all other shapes. We especially like this fish shape. That’s why we decided to use it.
- For the fish, cut the puff pastry into 2 parts. Put one part of the puff pastry on baking paper. This will make it easier to transport the fish to the preheated oven later.
- Spread one part of the puff pastry with about 1 – 2 tablespoons of pesto. Put the catfish fillet on it. On the top of the fillet you put again plenty of pesto, so that the fish is well covered. The pesto gives the fish a nice aroma and does not need to be seasoned.
- Coat the puff pastry around the fillet with a little water and cover it with the other half of the puff pastry. Press the puff pastry well. Then cut off the excess puff pastry to make a fish shape. Form three fins and an eye from the cut dough. To glue the fins and the eye, use a little water again. For the eye you can press a peppercorn or a juniper berry into the puff pastry.
- You can decorate the fish with some patterns in the pastry and poke some air holes in the pastry so that the hot air can escape during cooking. Then brush the fish with egg yolk to give it a nice color while baking.
- Place the fish with the baking paper on a baking tray and bake in a preheated oven at 180°C for about 25 minutes. If the puff pastry gets too dark, you can cover the fish with another sheet of baking paper after 15 minutes and reduce the temperature a bit. The fish is done when the puff pastry is nicely browned and crispy. You can carefully test it with a fork in an inconspicuous place.
- Serve with a seasonal salad – Bon appétit!