Gemüsebox recipe of the week: Grandma Trudis apple red cabbage with potato rösti
In our winter recipe from the vegetable box, we have devoted this week to the classic red cabbage.
Anthocyanins not only give red cabbage its blue color, they are also the wonder weapon of this winter vegetable. The plant dyes have an antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effect. The antioxidant effect of anthocyanins is like an anti-aging remedy for firm skin and has a positive effect on the health of heart and memory. Besides anthocyanins, red cabbage also contains many antioxidants that protect our body from free radicals and thus from malignant cell changes. Red cabbage is a true vitamin bomb and contains a high proportion of iron and calcium in addition to a lot of vitamin C and especially vitamin K. The mustard oils (glucosinolates) contained in red cabbage belong to the secondary plant substances and can help fight infections. This is what makes red cabbage so valuable for us, especially in the cold season. Of course, it also tastes simply really delicious. In combination with a crispy potato rösti, it is a simple, but all the more delicious meal that you can easily recook. You will find everything you need in our assortment. Either in the Gemüsebox subscription, in our farm store in Berlin Herzberge or at our market in Rummelsburg, which takes place every Friday from 12 pm – 6 pm. Now you can also pick up your ordered vegetable box every Friday at our future location in Rummelsburg.
Grandma Trudis apple red cabbage with potato rösti
Ingredients for 2 persons
Apple red cabbage:
1 small red cabbage
1 tablespoon butter
1 shot of vinegar
2 pcs cloves
1 pc bay leaf
1 pc. shallot
2 tablespoons flour
Apple red cabbage:
- Chop the red cabbage finely or slice very finely, peel and chop the shallot finely. Core and dice the apple.
- Sweat onion in butter, add red cabbage and stew for about 5 minutes while stirring. Then add a small shot of vinegar to preserve the color.
- Add apples and spices, salt and pepper, add water as needed and cook covered for about 30 minutes.
Tip: Red cabbage usually tastes even better warmed up, so you can prepare more and simply keep it in the refrigerator.
- Wash and peel the potatoes. Peel and finely dice the shallot.
- Roughly grate the potatoes and put them on a towel. Wring them out vigorously so that they become nice and dry.
- Put the squeezed potatoes together with the shallot in a bowl. Salt everything well and season with pepper and nutmeg. For the binding stir in two tablespoons of flour.
- Fry the Rösti over medium heat in a pan with plenty of oil on both sides until they are golden yellow. Place the Rösti briefly on a kitchen towel so that some of the fat is absorbed.
Serve together with the apple red cabbage. Serve with our Oregano Onion Pesto. Bon appetite!
Would you also like to become part of a sustainable movement? Register here for your veggie box: Gemüsebox subscription