GRATINATED CHICORY & MASHED POTATOES
The star of our vegetable box recipe this week is chicory.
Some people don’t like chicory because it contains a lot of bitter substances. But that’s what makes this winter salad so healthy.
To reduce the bitterness, it is sprouted in darkness. This not only reduces the bitter substances, the chicory also becomes lighter in color.
- The bitter substances of chicory are good for digestion, metabolism and circulation.
- It is rich in the minerals potassium, folic acid and zinc.
- Chicory provides vitamins A, B and C.
- 100 grams of chicory have only 16 kilocalories, good for light cooking.
- Chicory contains a lot of inulin. The dietary fiber inulin supports healthy intestinal flora, makes you feel full for a long time and causes blood sugar levels to rise only slowly.
- In Germany, it is mostly served as a raw vegetable. However, chicory is also excellent cooked and fried.
We gratinated it with cheese and are thrilled. It comes with a hearty potato mash that you can easily prepare.
Discover with the StadtFarm how good regional can taste. You can find all the ingredients you need at our markets in Herzberge and Rummelsburg. Do your shopping at StadtFarm – we are there for you!
Ingredients for 2 persons:
4 pieces of chicory
150 ml vegetable broth
cheese, to taste or vegan alternative
Spices: salt, pepper
400 g potatoes
100 ml milk or soy milk
2 tsp butter (margarine)
Spices: salt, pepper, nutmeg
Clean and wash chicory, cut in half lengthwise and cut off stalk.
Put the chicory halves in a baking dish with the cut side down, pour the vegetable broth and cheese over them and bake at 180°C for about 15-20 minutes.
Season with salt and pepper to taste.
For the potato mash, wash the potatoes, put them in a pot, cover with water, add salt, bring the whole thing to a boil and cook for about 20-30 minutes until the potatoes are done.
Then strain the potatoes and peel them.
Warm the milk (soy milk) and the butter (margarine) slightly in a pot until melted.
Now mash the potatoes with a fork, potato ricer or potato masher.
Then stir in the milk (soy milk) and butter (margarine)….
Finally, season mashed potatoes with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Serve with the chicory. Enjoy your meal!
You want to become part of the sustainable StadtFarm community? Then get your veggie box here: Gemüsebox Subscription