Cucumbers – tasty superfood
Long have we waited for the first cucumbers from regional cultivation, now it’s finally time again! That’s why we have also immediately packed them in our vegetable box. Cucumbers are not only a welcome refreshment in summer. Did you know that cucumbers are not only delicious raw, for example as a salad, in a smoothie or as a base for infused water, to which you can add a refreshing aroma with a few slices of cucumber? You can also braise or boil them brilliantly. For our Vegetable Box recipe of the week, we opted for the cooked version and created a cold cucumber and potato soup – simply delicious!
- Are diuretic and have a draining effect.
- Contain the active ingredient cucurbitacin, promotes blood circulation in the skin and is a real miracle weapon for a radiant complexion.
- Are among the lowest calorie foods. With about 12 calories per 100 grams, cucumbers are ideally suited for light cuisine.
- Rich in vitamins of the B group, vitamin C and vitamin E.
- Thanks to many minerals such as calcium, zinc, iron, magnesium, potassium and phosphorus a true superfood.
Ingredients for 2 people:
1 small onion
1 tablespoon butter
300 ml vegetable broth
150 g potatoes
100 g whipped cream or vegan alternative
chopped herbs to taste
Spices: salt, pepper
- Peel and chop potatoes and onion. Peel the cucumber and cut into small cubes.
- Heat butter in a saucepan and sauté onion until translucent. Add potatoes, fry briefly, then deglaze with vegetable stock.
- Cook potatoes over medium heat until tender. Set pot aside and let cool.
- Using a potato masher, mash the potatoes into mush in the soup. Puree two-thirds of the cucumbers and the parsley with a hand blender and add to the soup along with the cream.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve cold with the remaining cucumber cubes and sprinkled with herbs. Enjoy your meal!
You want to become part of the sustainable StadtFarm community? Then get your subscription here: Gemüsebox Subscription